1) Prawns peeled, deveined .....1 kg
2) Large Onions, finely chopped....3
3) Large Tomatoes, chopped......3
4) Coriander leaves, chopped....1 large handful
5) Oil.....4 teaspoons
6) Crush Garlic.....3 teaspoons
7) Turmeric....1 teaspoon
8) Tamarind....1 teaspoon
9) Red chilli powder ...1 teaspoon
11) Cinnamon stick....1/2
12) Salt to taste
1. Combine Prawns, Garlic, Turmeric, Red chilli powder, Tamarind and one teaspoon of Salt and allow the Prawns to marinade for 15-30 minutes
2. In a large, shallow bottomed non-stick pan, heat the Oil. Once hot, add Cloves and Cinnamon stick, and wait for about a minute, until they become fragrant.
3. Next, add the Onions, and saute for about 5-7 minutes, or until the Onions become translucent. Stir frequently to stop the onions from browning or burning.
4. At this point, add the Prawns, and stir until they all lose their grey color.
5. Add Tomatoes, stir, and allow to simmer for approximately 5 minutes, or until the Prawns start to shrink, and the oil starts to visibly separate from the sauce.
6. Add Coriander leaves, taste and add Salt if necessary, and cook for a further minute.
7. Serve hot, and enjoy over Rice or with a Chapathi.
People from Coastal Region prefer to have with Rice or Bhaakri.