1 Large Pomfret cleaned and kept whole
Mix together the following 4 items:
3/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
3/4 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon flour
Vegetable oil for frying
3/4 cup grated fresh coconut or 6 tablespoons desiccated coconut
3 green chillies
1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh coriander
4 large cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1. Wash the fish after rubbing a little flour over it to remove any fishy smell.
2. Apply chilli /turmeric mixture to the entire surface of the fish and allow to marinate at least one hour
3. Grind to a fine past all the chutney ingredients expect lemon juice and salt. After grinding all lemon juice and salt to taste.
4. Stuff as much of this chutney as will conveniently fit into the neck cavity of the fish. OR like I have done you can cut the fish on the sides over the bone and stuff the chutney inside. (Serve any remaining chutney separately.
5. Pour oil in a heavy bottom frying pan, and wait till its sizzling hot and slight fumes start to appear. This is very important to sear the fish or the fish will stick to the pan and will break when you try to turn it over.
6. Put the fish on the pan and reduce the heat at once and fry till bottom skin of the fish is nicely browned and crisp. Turn the fish and cook the other side similarly.
7. Serve at once with garnish of your choice.